12.03.2012

Patience and a Peanut Butter Pie


I think I may disappoint you.

(If you can’t handle it, then you should stop reading now. But if you do, you’ll miss a hint about next Sunday’s pie. So, you should probably just keep reading.)

On Saturday, I spent the morning at a gift market fundraiser for my daughter’s preschool. I had baked four pies – two apple-blackberry and two chocolate chip pecan – for the bake sale, which had a wide assortment of delicious-looking home-baked treats. My kids each brought their own money so they could buy something. My daughter quickly decided on a plate of mint crème brownies, and my son, after what seemed like hours of deliberation, finally settled on one whoopee pie and a plate of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

While my kids were searching out the perfect treat to take home, I decided on my own bake sale purchase. Other than my pies, there were only two others on the table at the time, and I knew this was my chance to finally have a pie that I did not have to bake myself. And I knew right away which one it would be:

Peanut butter pie.

(That was not the part that may lead to your disappointment.)

I had neither made nor eaten a peanut butter pie until now, and I have no idea what I was waiting for. Wow! Talk about a rich, sweet pie. It was so good, and so worth it’s $6 price tag. I could pay near that for just one slice in most restaurants!

(Here’s where the disappointment comes in.)

With all the sugar that walked out of that bake sale, into my house, and directly into all of our veins, I knew there was no way I could make the pie I had originally planned to make this weekend and still live to tell you about it while in a sugar-induced coma. So, I didn’t.

I’m sorry. But I promise that you will not be anywhere close to disappointed with the festive pie I make for next Sunday. All I have to say about it is…peppermintOreoshot fudge. You won’t want to miss it! (And I promise I will not be shopping any bake sales this week.)

Until then, I’ll share this picture with you of the pie my family enjoyed, thanks to the generous, anonymous person who brought it to the bake sale. And thanks to you for your patience!

Yours in pie,

Mindy

I can’t share the recipe for this pie since I have no idea who made it. But I would love to get some recipes for Peanut Butter Pie. My taste buds detected chunky peanut butter and cream cheese in this pie, but whatever your recipe, please share! You can post a recipe in the comment section below, or email it to me at pieonsunday@gmail.com

 

2 comments:

  1. Mindy,
    Hope you had a great Christmas! Remember when you first started entering Iowa State Fair contests and asked if I knew Armetta Keeney? Her husband and my Grandpa Keeney were first cousins, but more importantly her husband and she farmed in partnership with my Dad from the early 70's until about 2 years ago. My Dad still rents most of the land he farms from her.

    Anyhow, she doesn't exhibit at the fair anymore as she is in her mid-90's. She does bake a lot of custard to give to people who live in the retirement village with her.

    Several years ago she gave me a copy of a self-published (photocopies from original typewritten pages) cookbook she calls "My Joy Book- 1995." She has an entire page dedicated to her Peanut Butter Pie. As this is definitely nothing you would find on the web and I know she loves to share the joy and love of pie, I'm going to retype the entire page from her book. As I read the recipe, not sure I would do it exactly as written, but you could try or experiment as you wish! If you want to see the book, let me know. I'd be happy to loan it to you. You'll love this story...

    Recipe and Story by Armetta Keeney (typed as written)

    Peanut Butter Pie

    9" pie shell
    3/4 c. powdered sugar
    1/2 c. peanut butter (creamy)
    Mix these together and set aside.
    In saucepan combine 2/3 c. granulated sugar; 1/3 c. cornstarch; 3 egg yolks; 2-1/2 c. milk
    Cook; until thickened.
    Remove from fire and add 2 tbl. margarine or butter; 1 tbl. vanilla. In bottom of baked pie shell put all but 2 tbl. of the peanut butter mixture. Pour the pudding over this while hot. Make meringue: Cook 1 tbl. cornstarch, 1 tbl. sugar and 1/2 cup water until thick and clear. Set aside. Beat 3 egg whites until frothy. Add 3 tbl. sugar and beat until peak. Add cooked mixture and mix gently. Put over pudding. Add 2 tbl. peanut butter mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
    Armetta Keeney, Carlisle, Iowa. Blue Ribbon at the Iowa State Fair

    This pie recipe has brought me more joy than anyone should be allowed to have.
    In 1990 SUCCESSFUL FARMING picked up the 1st place winner recipes at the Iowa State Fair and tested them and choose this pie to be published in their magazine in March issue 1991.
    COUNTRY magazine saw this article and asked me to enter their contest in their magazine. My neighbor lady submitted an article and I won "Best Cook in the Country" in June of 1992. These cooks were voted on at the end of the year and in the Feb. issue I was declared "COOK OF THE YEAR". For this I won a tour of my choice all expenses paid. I chose the Amish country in Pa. For the 1st contest I received a Tappan Microwave Oven. When the Article came out in the SUCCESSFUL FARMING magazine the article stated that I had a Lemon Pie and Reuben Loaf recipe that people could write for. I received over 800 requests from 34 States. I not only sent the Lemon pie and Reuben loaf recipe I sent 2 to 3 sheets of recipes.
    This recipe was also made up to hand out at the Machine Shed opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me -- what a great story!!! I will copy this and share it in a post soon. And I am definitely interested in seeing Armetta's book sometime. This peanut butter pie recipe does not sound like any other I've come across. So glad to have it! I hope you had a nice LONG Christmas break from school! Hope to see you sometime soon,
      Mindy

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Share a comment, or even a pie recipe...