7.08.2013

Appleberry Pie...Gone!


I brought three pies to my family reunion this past weekend. I came home with two slices of peach pie (promptly finished off last night), but the strawberry-rhubarb pie was gone, and so was the apple-blackberry pie. If it hadn’t been such a hot day, I might have had the ambition to take a few photos to share with you.....before we polished it off.
I have entered this pie in the Iowa State Fair a few times. It took 3rd place in the two-crust fruit class at the 2009 fair and again in the 2010 fair. I try to improve my entries from year to year, at least until I earn first place…..so I guess I have a little work to do on this one! No matter the fair results, if you are a berry lover, you must try this pie. (And give me any suggestions you have to improve it!)
Yours in pie,
Mindy

Appleberry Pie


2 c. frozen blackberries, partially thawed*

2 c. thinly-sliced, peeled Golden Delicious apples

½ T. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 c. sugar

2 ½ tsp. cornstarch

2 ½ tsp. tapioca

½ tsp. ground cinnamon

2 T. butter

Milk

Sparkling sugar
 
*I often use one whole 12 oz. bag, which partially-thaws to about 2 cups.

Combine blackberries, apple slices, and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, and cinnamon. Add to fruit mixture and combine gently. Let stand 15 minutes. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Dot the top of filling with butter. Adjust top crust; seal and flute edges. Brush crust with milk; sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Cover edges with foil to prevent over-browning. Bake on lower middle rack at 400° for 10 minutes; lower heat to 350° and bake for 1 hour more or until crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbly in center. (Remove foil last 15 minutes of baking.) Cool completely on wire rack.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share a comment, or even a pie recipe...