11.05.2012

Not Too Late for Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie




Better late than never.

That’s what “they” always say, but I wonder if “they” considered that it might not always be true. Think about it…

What if an ambulance or the police showed up two hours after you made a 911 call, at least for a call other than one your two-year-old made while experimenting with the phone? (I may or may not have stared dumbfounded at an officer at my front door at 7 a.m. one Saturday morning.) Or, what if you made it to the airport three minutes after your plane left the runway? (Well, I guess you could get another flight.) Or, what if you’re an expectant mother who has gone into labor and is waiting on the anesthesiologist to give you an epidural? (Yesterday would have been too late in that case.)

Fortunately, it’s always better late than never for pie. (Unless you hired a caterer to serve pie instead of cake to 300 wedding guests and the caterer had your wedding as the following Saturday on his schedule. And, you found out at your reception.)

We did have our pie on Sunday this week. It’s what was in the pie that was better late than never…

It seems like I’m always a month behind when it comes to pumpkin season. In September, when everyone is bursting at the seams to crank up the apple peeler/corer/slicer and whip out 30 batches of applesauce in addition to caramel apples, apple cakes, apple crisps, apple pie bars, and of course, apple pie, I’m trying to catch up with the end of summer. (I mean, did you read about my dad’s tomatoes? It’s November, and I still have a few sitting on my counter!)

I don’t usually get to any significant apple recipes until after I make my first trip to the orchard. It was the first weekend in October when I made Caramel Apple-Pecan Pie. That’s when everyone else began whipping out their pumpkin recipes. Now, there is no way I could ever wait until November for pumpkin bars, and I baked a pan of my favorite recipe while it was still October. But there is something about pumpkin pie that says I have to wait until November. It’s meant for Thanksgiving.

So, in keeping with my odd schedule rule, I made pumpkin pie for Sunday, the first one in November. I’m glad I did because it really got me excited for Thanksgiving.

Break out the Pilgrim hats! Is it too soon for turkey?

It’s been several years since I made a pumpkin pie. I think the last time I did it was a not-so-classic version. While I really love traditional pumpkin pie, this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie from Midwest Living Magazine was a tasty, gentle variation.

Now...since you’ve all moved on from pumpkin season and are busy prepping for making Christmas candy, I’m going to enjoy my pre-Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.

Yours in pie,

Mindy
 
 
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
from Midwest Living Magazine



1 15-oz. can pumpkin

¾ cup sugar

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

¼ tsp. salt

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 5-oz. can (2/3-cup) evaporated milk

1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

½ tsp. vanilla

Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges high. Do not prick pastry.

In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add 2 eggs; beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually beat in evaporated milk.

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 1 egg and vanilla. Beat until combined.

Transfer cream cheese mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Place the pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour pumpkin mixture over cream cheese mixture. To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie with foil.

Bake in a 425°F oven for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, removing foil during the last 15 minutes of baking. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and store in the refrigerator within 2 hours.

 

4 comments:

  1. I can expect to see this at Thanksgiving, right?? I can taste it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Sorry. I need to make a different pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving so I have something to blog about!

      Delete
  2. So, this whole blog thing of yours has made be brave and I've signed up to bring 2 pies to the church steak supper this Saturday! Not sure what I'm thinking. I probably better plan on making 4, so I have a 50% chance of 2 of them being good enough to take.
    This one sounds absolutely delicious (and easy enough for even me to make).
    Dad already put his order in for Sour Cream Raisin. That's my favorite as well, so it will probably be the other one I take. (Now if I can just find your cookbook (I'm sure it's in one of these boxes) that has Gma's recipe...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Encouraging people to make their own pies is what I'm hoping for!

      This was a very tasty pumpkin pie. I really liked the flavor of just cinnamon for spices, while the cream cheese layer toned it down a bit. Just a nice flavor I wasn't expecting. And it was really easy to make!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Share a comment, or even a pie recipe...